May 13, 2011 - Morris Island lighthouse stands all alone about 300 yards off shore from the island of Folly Beach and is now completely surrounded by water. It was once sitting on a good sized island with numerous buildings around it. Since 1938 over 1600 feet of land surrounding the tower has been lost. In 1962 the Sullivan's Island lighthouse was built to replace the Morris Island Light, which was decommissioned. The U.S. Coast Guard had plans to demolish the tower but petitions from local residents saved the structure. The Coast Guard built an underground steel wall around the tower to protect it from further erosion damage. The lighthouse is now privately owned and efforts are underway to preserve the Morris Island Light.